1 Encroachment Permit Application Instructions Imperial Irrigation District Real Estate Section2 Requirements for Encroachment Permit Application Any ...
1 Form No Election Systems and Software Board of County Commissioners GRAND RAPIDS,Minnesota Attn: County Highway Engineer ITASCA COUNTY OF DEPARTMENT...
1 ZONING PERMIT APPLICATION and INSTRUCTIONS INSTRUCTIONS 1. Completely fill out, sign, and date the attached form. Include a check for $35.00 payable...
1 MINNEHAHA COUNTY HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT HIGHWAY ACCESS APPLICATION & PERMIT Complete this form, print, and mail to: Minnehaha County Highway Dept E ...
1 HERNANDO COUNTY PERMIT APPLICATION PACKET DEMOLITION PERMIT Introduction This is an application for a demolition permit. All items listed in the Che...
1 HERNANDO COUNTY PERMIT APPLICATION PACKET MECHANICAL PERMIT Introduction This is an application for a mechanical permit. All items listed in the Che...
1 FALLS COUNTY APPLICATION FOR PERMIT HOW TO OBTAIN A TCEQ PERMIT FOR AN ON-SITE SEWAGE FACILITY ***Remove & Retain this page prior to returning t...
1 1246 County Road 16 P.O. Box 517, Fairplay, CO Office: Fax: Inspection Line: PARK COUNTY Schedule No: Project Address: Legal Description: Metes &...
1 Instructions for Residential Building Permit Application Sublette County, Wyoming Processing Procedure: Paperwork Use this application for residenti...
1 Revised 12/31/2017 Page 1 of 3 Permit # AP # Cost $ Check # NASSAU COUNTY RE-ROOFING PERMIT APPLICATION 6 TH EDITION (2017) OF THE FLORIDA BUILDING ...
DRIVEWAY/ACCESS PERMIT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS Douglas County Trunk Highways It is the policy of the Douglas County Highway Department that permission must be obtained to construct or maintain a driveway or other property access point within the County Highway right-of-way through the following prescribed procedure. Wisconsin State Statues govern the requirements of driveway and property access points as follows: Statue 86.05 provides that “Whenever it is necessary, in making any highway improvement to cut or fill or otherwise grade the highway in front of any entrance to abutting premises, a suitable entrance to the premises shall be constructed as a part of the improvements; and if the premises are divided by the highway, then one such entrance shall be constructed on each side of the highway. Therefore each entrance shall be maintained by the owner of the premises. During the time the highway is under construction, the state, county, city, village or town shall not be responsible for any damage that may be sustained through the absence of an entrance to any such premises.” Statue 86.07 (2) provides that “No person shall make any excavation or fill or install any culvert or make any other alteration in any highway or in any manner disturb any highway or bridge without a permit therefore from the highway authority maintaining the highway. Such permit shall contain the statement and be subject to the condition that the work shall be constructed subject to such rules and regulations as may be prescribed by said authority and performed and completed to its satisfaction.”
In summary, the County Highway Department is obligated to provide a driveway to private property only when making major grading improvements past said property. At all other times, the property owner must (1) obtain the required permit from the County Highway Department office, (2) install their own driveway, supplying the required new culvert where necessary, and (3) maintain the driveway henceforth. The permit application has an associated non-refundable fee and a deposit refundable when the entrance is completed and approved by the County Highway Department. If work is not completed by the completion date specified on the application, the deposit is forfeited. Application fee (all cases) $10.00 Residential Deposit $100.00 Commercial Deposit $200.00 Governmental Agencies are exempt from all fees and deposits
The procedure for permit application is as follows: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
Complete attached application form and submit with required fee and deposit Mark proposed entrance location with brightly colored marking flags Field review is made by Highway Department representative Applicant is notified of findings of field review Applicant purchases approved materials from supplier and must meet manufacturers installation guidelines 6. If a poly (plastic) culvert is used it must meet AASHTO M252, Type S or SP or ASTM F2306. Permitee must provide documentation from the manufacturer before installation 7. If a concrete culvert is used end walls will be required 8. Applicant installs/constructs access without interfering with highway traffic flow 9. Applicant notifies the County Highway Department of access completion 10. Highway Department representative performs final inspection 11. Deposit is refunded when installation meets all requirements of the permit Vertical retaining walls are not permitted on driveways.
Page 1 of 5
Temporary accesses require the same procedure as permanent, but approved used culverts may be utilized and the deposit will be refunded only after removal and restoration at the installation location are completed. If the entrance is in place for more than one (1) year, the deposit is forfeited.
Construction requirements and conditions of permit issuance: 1) The applicant indicated on the permit represents all parties in interest, and that any driveway or approach constructed by or for the applicant is for the bonna fide purpose of providing access to the applicant’s property. 2) The permitee shall furnish all materials, do all work and pay all costs in connection with the construction of the driveway and its appurtenances on the highway right-of-way. In every instance, the subsequent maintenance of the driveway and of its appurtenances within the limits of the highway right-of-way shall be the responsibility of the indicated permitee who shall be obligated to pay all costs and accomplish all works necessary in relation to said maintenance of the driveway facility. 3) The driveway installation shall be made without jeopardy to or interference with traffic using the highway. 4) Highway surface, shoulders, ditches, and vegetation which are disturbed by the driveway installation shall be restored to at least the preexisting conditions by the driveway constructor. 5) The surface of the driveway connecting with the highway shall slope down and away from the highway shoulder a sufficient amount and distance to preclude ordinary surface water drainage from the driveway area flowing onto the highway road bed. 6) The driveway shall not obstruct or impair drainage in highway side ditches. Driveway culverts where necessary, shall be adequate for surface water drainage along the highway and in no case shall be less than the equivalent of 18-inch diameter, or as approved by permit. 7) No revision of additions shall be made to the access driveway or its appurtenances on the right-ofway without the permission of the County Highway Commissioner or other County designated representative. 8) The Douglas County Highway Commission does not assume any responsibility for the removal or clearance of snow, ice or sleet, or the opening of windows of such material, upon any portion of any driveway or entrance along any county highway, even though snow, ice, or sleet is deposited or windrowed on said driveway or entrance by its authorized representative engaged in normal winter maintenance operations. 9) The permittee, his successors, or assigns agree to hold harmless Douglas County and its duly appointed agents and employees against any action for personal injury or property damage sustained by reason of the exercise of this permit.
Distance Required Between Access Driveways to Abutting Properties: Minimum Distance Required Minimum Distance to Centerline Between Driveways Of Intersecting Highway 300 feet 150 feet Class B Highways (County Trunk) 75 feet 75 feet Class C Highways (Town Roads)
Maximum Number and Width of Access Driveways: Maximum Number of Minimum Width of Maximum Width of Access Driveways Access Driveway Access Driveway 2 30 feet 35 feet Commercial and Industrial 1 20 feet 24 feet Other Land Uses
Page 2 of 5
APPLICATION / PERMIT TO CONSTRUCT DRIVEWAY WITHIN COUNTY HIGHWAY R/W Please fill out the required information of this form and submit to the Douglas County Highway Department per the above instruction sheet. PLEASE PRINT OR TYPE 1. Applicant Name
5. Telephone Number – Area Code
5. Highway Letter(s)
2. Applicant Mailing Address
7. _____ Town _____Village of:
3. Property Owner Name & Property Address (Fire #)
8. What Type of Driveway (check one) _____ New Driveway _____ Temporary Driveway _____ Improve Existing Driveway (Fire #) _____ Relocate Existing Driveway
4. If not Property Owner, Reason For Application?
9. Driveway Within The: (Section, Township, Range)
Log Mile or Reference Point (filled in by County)
10. * Estimated Completion Date (Must be filled out)
11. What type of use will the driveway serve? (check one) _____ Rural – Commercial / Industrial _____ Urban – Commercial / Industrial _____ Rural – Residential _____ Urban – Residential _____ Rural – Agricultural 12 What type of culvert will used __________________ (i.e., galvanized , poly, concrete, etc.) (IF a poly culvert will be used documentation from the manufacturer meeting specifications must be provided prior to installation) 13. Approximately how many times will vehicles use this driveway daily (check one) _____ 0 – 100 _____ 101 – 500 _____ Over 500 14. What side of the County Highway is the proposed driveway located? (check one) _____ North _____ South _____ East _____ West 15. Is the proposed driveway less than 300 feet from another driveway on the same side of the highway? _____ Yes _____ No (If proposed driveway is less than 300 feet and location cannot be adjusted a variance from Douglas County Zoning will be required.) 16. What is the name of the nearest intersecting road from the proposed driveway? 17. In what direction from the intersecting road listed in #15 is the proposed driveway? (check one) _____ North _____ South ______ East ______ West 18. Approximately, how far from the intersecting road listed in #15 is the proposed driveway?
Feet or Miles (Circle One)
19. Does this parcel of land abut or border alongside another public road? _____ Yes ______ No. If yes, please indicate road’s name. 20. Please provide a copy of documentation from the jurisdictional zoning authority to prove how the property is zone. If no zoning has been assigned to the property, include a statement form the jurisdictional zoning authority to the effect that the land is unzoned. 21. If this parcel is unzoned as indicated in #19, please explain how the land is currently being used. 22. Are you aware of any future plans to change the zoning or land use for this parcel? _____ Yes _____ No ______ Don’t Know If yes, please explain. 23. Are there any plans to divide the property into smaller lots? ______ Yes ______ No If yes, please explain. 24. How many existing driveways does this property currently have? (a variance from Douglas County Zoning is required for more than one driveway per parcel) 25. Are there any access easements across the property / recorded or unrecorded? ______ Yes _____No (If yes, please submit a copy of the access easement agreement with the permit application)
Page 3 of 5
* If the driveway is not completed by the “Completion Date” specified a time extension must be obtained from the County Highway Department or this permit is null and void and the driveway shall not be constructed unless authorized through subsequent permit.
26. Are there any access restriction limiting the number of driveways to this property, i.e.: subdivision plat, certified survey map, deed, access covenant (recorded or unrecorded)? ______ Yes ______ No (If yes, please submit a copy of the access restriction agreement with the permit application) The construction and maintenance of the driveway shall be the responsibility of the applicant. It is understood and agreed that approval is subject to the applicant’s full compliance with the pertinent Statutes, as well as any codes, rules, regulations, and permit requirements of other jurisdictional agencies, (i.e. – DNR, Corp. of Engineers, Wetland Filling, …) The applicant shall also comply with all permit provisions, superimposed notes, and detail drawings, which may be added by the Department. Any alterations of this form by the applicant is prohibited and may be caused to revoke this permit. 27. (Property Owner/Authorized Representative Signature)
APPLICANT SHALL PLACE A FLAG OR BRIGHT COLORED MARKER IN THE HIGHWAY DITCH VISIBLE FROM THE HIGHWAY AT THE LOCATION OF THE PROPOSED DRIVEWAY, PLEASE DESCRIBE LOCATION OF FLAG / MARKER
29. Will apron end walls be used
For SAFETY PURPOSES, construction of bituminous, concrete, stone, timber or any other type of vertical headwalls will not be permitted. The driveway shall be constructed at right angles to the highway for the full width of the right of way.
Return Completed Application To:
Douglas County Highway Department 7417 South County Road E, P.O. Box 174 Hawthorne, WI 54842
COUNTY HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT USE ONLY FEE / DEPOSIT Received: $
PERMIT APPROVAL Permit No.
x Douglas County Highway Commissioner or Approved Representative
Documentation Provided:: Yes or No Required Drainage Structure: Will Apron End Walls Be Used: Inspector Instructions / Comments:
FINAL INSPECTION Date Installation Approved:
Page 4 of 5
EXAMPLE CALCULATION TO DETERMINE LENGTH OF CULVERT PIPE FOR ACCESS DRIVEWAYS Assume:
20-foot wide driving surface Ditch depth of 3-feet Maximum driveway side slope is 2-feet horizontal for each foot of depth
Calculation: 20-feet of culvert for width of driving surface 3-feet of ditch depth multiplied by 2-feet horizontal equals 6-feet per end 20-feet + (3-feet X 2-feet) 2 sides = 32-feet
Final Inspection Checklist: Driveway Width – is driveway width correct and in accordance with the permit? Has gravel (crushed aggregate) been placed on new driveway? Is driveway higher than shoulder of roadway? – where driveway intersects or meets the shoulder of the roadway the driveway should not be built higher than the shoulder elevation for at least 3 feet. (from shoulder of driveway) Is driveway slope correct? – driveway slope should end at bottom of culvert pipe, fill should not be placed all the way out to top and end of culver pipe (see diagram above)
Please call the Douglas County Highway Department at (715) 374-2575 when driveway installation has been completed.