1 Lenore A. Grenoble The University of Chicago Department of Linguistics 1115 East 58th Street Chicago, IL Phone: (773) Homepage: uchicago.edu/ grenob...
1 YVONNE IVORY, Ph.D. Associate Professor of German & Comparative Literature Department of Languages, Literatures, & Cultures University of So...
1 Tatishe M. Nteta Department of Political Science University of Massachusetts, Amherst 408 Thompson Hall Amherst, MA Office: (413) Academic Positions...
1 ACADEMIC POSITIONS Hien Duy Nguyen Department of Mathematics and Statistics, La Trobe University, Melbourne 3083, VIC +61 (0) tinyurl.com/hiendnguye...
1 December 4, 2017 AMI PEDAHZUR Arnold S. Chaplik Professor in Israel and Diaspora Studies Director, Institute for Israel Studies (IIS) Professor, Dep...
1 Daniel Kapust Professor Department of Political Science University of Wisconsin-Madison 311 North Hall, 1050 Bascom Mall Madison, WI Academic Positi...
1 Simon Wolfgang Fuchs Orientalisches Seminar Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg Platz der Universität Freiburg, Germany +49-(0)761/ ACADEM...
1 C. V., Page 1 of 15 MARÍA E. LEN-RÍOS, Ph.D. The University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communications Advertising...
1 Education: Curriculum Vitae Steve Vanderheiden Associate Professor of Political Science and Environmental Studies University of Colorado at Boulder ...
1 Carlos A. Santamaria Office: (941) ; Mobile: (979) Website: EDUCATION 09/ /2013. Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, PhD. Texas A&M University....
2-65 Assiniboia Hall Department of Philosophy University of Alberta Edmonton, AB T6G2E7 Canada [email protected] www.ualberta.ca/~mmorin1
AOS: 20th-century Continental Philosophy (Phenomenology, Existentialism, Poststructuralism, Deconstruction, Postmodernism). AOC: Social and Political Philosophy, Ancient Philosophy, Ethics, Philosophy of Religion.
▪ Academic Positions 2013-
Associate Professor (tenured) Department of Philosophy, University of Alberta, Edmonton.
Assistant Professor (tenure-track) Department of Philosophy, University of Alberta, Edmonton.
Assistant Professor (non-tenure-track) Department of Philosophy, University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg.
Adjunct Faculty in Philosophy (part-time) Suffolk County Community College, Eastern Campus, Riverhead, NY, USA.
▪ Education 1999-2005
Grundständige Promotion (Dr. Phil.) Albert-Ludwigs Universität Freiburg, Germany Dissertation: Die Frage nach der Gemeinschaft im Denken von Jacques Derrida und Jean-Luc Nancy.
Rigorosum (PhD Oral Examination) Topics: Soul and City in Plato’s Republic, Substance in Descartes, Existentialist Ethics in Sartre and Beauvoir, The Sublime in Kant and Lyotard
Bachelor of Arts with First Class Honours in Philosophy McGill University, Montréal, Canada
▪ Additional Formation 2015-2016
Gold College, Comprehensive Leadership Development Program (Office of the Provost and VP (Academic) in partnership with Human Resource Services, University of Alberta)
Auditor, Cressida Heyes’s PHIL-594: Introduction to Contemporary Feminist Philosophy
Deleuze and Guatarri Summer School, “Kafka and the Perspective of the Minority,” Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
Visiting Researcher (Chercheur visiteur), Centre d’études phénoménologiques, Université catholique de Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium
Visiting Student, Stony Brook University, NY, USA.
▪ Publications ▪ Authored Books and Edited Collections M.-E. Morin (ed.). Continental Realism and Its Discontents. Edinburgh University Press. In Press. M.-E. Morin and P. Gratton (eds). The Nancy Dictionary. Edinburgh University Press, 2015. Jean-Luc Nancy. Key Contemporary Thinker Series. Polity Press, 2012. M.-E. Morin and P. Gratton (eds). Jean-Luc Nancy and Plural Thinking: Expositions of World, Politics, Art, and Sense. SUNY Press, 2012. With an introduction by P. Gratton and M.-E. Morin. Jenseits der brüderlichen Gemeinschaft. Das Gespräch zwischen Jacques Derrida und Jean-Luc Nancy. Ergon Verlag, 2006. ▪ Articles in Scholarly Journals “Corps propre or corpus corporum: Unity and Dislocation in the Theories of Embodiment of MerleauPonty and Jean-Luc Nancy,” Chiasmi International 18 (2016). Accepted. “How Do We Live Here? Abyssal Intimacies in Jean-Luc Nancy’s La ville au loin,” Parrhesia: A Journal of Critical Philosophy 25 (2016): 110-125. “Worlds Apart: Conversations Between Jacques Derrida and Jean-Luc Nancy,” Derrida Today 9.2 (2016): 157–176. “The Spacing of Time and the Place of Hospitality: Living Together According to Bruno Latour and Jacques Derrida,” Deconstruction – Space – Ethics. A Special Issue of Parallax, vol. 21 no. 1 (2015): 26– 41. “Nancy, Violence and the World,” Parrhesia: A Journal of Critical Philosophy 16 (2013): 61–72. “Towards a Divine Atheism: Jean-Luc Nancy’s Deconstruction of Monotheism and the Passage of the Last God,” Symposium: Canadian Journal of Continental Philosophy 15.1 (Spring 2011): 29–49. “Thinking Things: Heidegger, Sartre, Nancy,” Sartre Studies International 15.2 (Winter 2009): 35–53. “Cohabitating in the Globalised World: Peter Sloterdijk’s Global Foams and Bruno Latour’s Cosmopolitics,” Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 27.1 (2009): 58–72. “La déconstruction de la fraternité ou l’interruption du mythe?,” Les Cahiers philosophiques de Strasbourg II (2008): 131–150. “The Self, the Other, and the Many: Jacques Derrida on Testimony,” in Following Derrida: Legacies, A Special Issue of Mosaic 40.2 (June 2007): 165–179. “A mêlée without Sacrifice: Nancy’s Ontology of Offering against Derrida’s Politics of Sacrifice,” Philosophy Today 50, SPEP supplement issue (2006): 139–143. “Putting Community under Erasure: The Dialogue between Jacques Derrida and Jean-Luc Nancy on the Plurality of Singularities,” Culture Machine 8 (2006), http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk ▪ Contributions “Merleau-Ponty and the Challenge of Realism, or How (Not) To Go Beyond Phenomenology,” in Continental Realism and Its Discontents, ed. Marie-Eve Morin. Edinburgh University Press. In Press. “Areality,” “Body,” “Corpus,” “Creation,” “Ipseity,” “Justice,” “Literary Communism,” “Matter/Materiality,” “Myth,” “Retreat,” “Sacrifice,” “Touch,” in The Nancy Dictionary, ed. M.-E. Morin and Peter Gratton. Edinburgh University Press, 2015.
“Being Social Democratically with Jean-Luc Nancy at the Gezi Park Protests,” in Being Social: Ontology, Law, Politics, ed. Tara Mulqueen and Daniel Matthews. Counterpress, 2015. “‘We Must Become What We Are’: Nancy’s Ontology as Ethos and Praxis,” in Nancy and the Political, ed. Sanja Dejanovic. Edinburgh University Press, 2015. “Heidegger,” “Onto-theology,” and “Phenomenology,” in A Meillassoux Dictionary, ed. Peter Gratton and Paul J. Ennis. Edinburgh University Press, 2015. “Übertreibung und Zweideutigkeit: Derrida und Merleau-Ponty über Passivität und Aktivität im Performativen,” in Lassen und Tun. Kulturphilosophische Debatten zum Verhältnis von Gabe und Kulturellen Praktiken, ed. Steffi Hobuß and Nicola Tams. Transcript Verlag, 2014. “Jean-Luc Nancy,” in Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, ed. Micheal Kelly. Second edition. Oxford University Press, 2014. “The Coming-to-the-World of the Human Animal,” in Sloterdijk Now, ed. Stuart Elden. Polity Press, 2012. “Jean-Luc Nancys Denken des Singulär-Plurals oder das notwendige Zusammensein,” in >MIT-SEIN<: Gemeinschaft – ontologische und politische Perspektivierungen, ed. Elke Bippus, Jörg Huber, and Dorothee Richter. Voldemeer/Springer, 2010. ▪ Book Reviews “The Powers of Jean-Luc Nancy’s Thinking.” An Encounter With: Ignaas Devisch, Jean-Luc Nancy and the Question of Community, Daniele Rugo, Jean-Luc Nancy and the Thinking of Otherness: Philosophy and Powers of Existence and Frédéric Neyrat, Le communisme existentiel de Jean-Luc Nancy. PhaenEx 10.1 (2015): 173–188. Review of B.C. Hutchens (ed.), Jean-Luc Nancy: Justice, Legality and World. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/31064-jean-luc-nancy-justice-legality-and-world/ “Figures réticulées de notre être-ensemble,” A review of Philip Armstrong’s Reticulations. Spirale 239 (Hiver 2012): 40–41. Review of Ian James The Fragmentary Demand: An Introduction to Jean-Luc Nancy. Symposium: Canadian Journal of Continental Philosophy 10.2 (Fall 2006): 636–638. ▪ Translation Ego Sum: Corpus, Anima , Fabula, translation of Ego sum by Jean-Luc Nancy (Flammarion, 1979). Fordham University Press, 2016. “The Being-with of Being-there,” a translation of “L’être-avec de l’être-là” by Jean-Luc Nancy, Continental Philosophy Review 41.1 (March 2008): 1–15. ▪ Reviews of Own Work Channer, Leda. Review of Jean-Luc Nancy by M.-E. Morin. Journal of the British Society for Phenomenology, 45.1 (2014): 84–85. Meganck, Erik. Review of Jean-Luc Nancy by M.-E. Morin. Tijdschrift voor Filosofie 76.2 (2014): 381– 382. Aldridge, Nicholas. Review of Jean-Luc Nancy by M.-E. Morin. Derrida Today 7.1 (2014): 102–105. Mclaughlin, Emily. Review of Jean-Luc Nancy by M.-E. Morin. French Studies: A Quarterly Review 67.4 (2013): 581.
Meurs, Pieter. Review of Jean-Luc Nancy by M.-E. Morin. Society and Space: Environment and Planning D. http://societyandspace.com/reviews/reviews-archive/morin-2012-reviewed-by-meurs/ Watkin, Christopher. Review of Jean-Luc Nancy by M.-E. Morin. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (June 2013). http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/archives/2013/6/ ▪ Work in Progress Turning Back the Speculative Turn: Maurice Merleau-Ponty and Jean-Luc Nancy at the Limits of Phenomenology. Book project in progress.
▪ Conference Papers ▪ Refereed “Merleau-Ponty, Speculative Realism, and the ‘Outside’” Merleau-Ponty Circle, Brock University, St. Catherines, ON, September 2016 Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Annual Congress, University of King’s College, Halifax, NS, October 2016 “Merleau-Ponty and Speculative Realism, or How (Not) to Go Beyond Phenomenology” Nordic Society for Phenomenology Annual Conference, Reykjavik, Iceland, April 2016 “A Cat, a Tree, a Stone: Jean-Luc Nancy’s World” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA, October 2015 “Jean-Luc Nancy et la phénoménologie” Society for Existential and Phenomenological Theory and Culture Conference, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, June 2015 “Jean-Luc Nancy’s Corpus, or Bodies that Make Sense” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Annual Conference, Univeristy of Oregon, Eugene, OR, November 2013 Canadian Society for Women in Philosophy Annual Meeting, Mount Royal University, Calgary, October 2012 “Are We Postmodern? On Capitalism, Fluidity, and Parataxis” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Annual Conference, Rochester, NY, November 2012 “Jean-Luc Nancy, or Making Sense of the World Beyond Heidegger” Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Annual Congress, Memorial University of Newfoundland, October 2011 Society for European Philosophy & Forum for European Philosophy Joint Conference, York St John University, York, UK, August 2011 “The socio-political syntax of postmodernism: Lyotard in the 21st century” Rewriting Lyotard Conference, University of Alberta, February 2011 “The opening of the world and the necessity of violence” 9th Biennial Radical Philosophy Association Conference, Eugene, OR, November 2010 “Derrida’s To-Come as Eschatology of the Instant” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Annual Conference, Montreal, QC, October 2010 “Sloterdijk After Heidegger or What Can Still Save Us” International Association for Philosophy and Literature Conference, Brunel University, West London, UK, June 2009
“‘It is not so simple to be without God’: Jean-Luc Nancy and the Deconstruction of Monotheism” Society for European Philosophy & Forum for European Philosophy Joint Conference, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK, August 2009 Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Annual Congress, Université de Montréal, Montréal, QC, October 2008 “The Politics of Peter Sloterdijk’s Global Foam” World Congress of Philosophy XXII, National University of Seoul, Seoul, Korea, August 2008 “Nausea versus Sense: The Experience of the Plurality of Things in Sartre and Nancy” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Annual Conference, DePaul and Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, November 2007 “There is No Cosmos: Bruno Latour’s Cosmopolitics and Peter Sloterdijk’s Global Foam” Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Annual Congress, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, October 2007 “Between the Cosmos and the Globe: How to Make Sense of the World?” International Association for Philosophy and Literature Conference, University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus, June 2007 “Thinking Things: Heidegger, Sartre, Nancy” Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Meeting with the SSHRC Congress, University of Saskatoon, Saskatoon, SK, May 2007 “Community of Witnesses: Derrida Inheriting Husserl and Blanchot” American Philosophy Association Central Division Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 2007 Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Annual Conference, Villanova University, Philadelphia, PA, October 2006 “The One, the Other, and the Many: Derrida on Testimony” Following Derrida: Legacies, An International Interdisciplinary Conference, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada, October 2006 “A mêlée without Sacrifice: Nancy’s Ontology of Offering against Derrida’s Politics of Sacrifice” American Philosophy Association Eastern Division Annual Meeting, New York, NY, December 2005 Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Annual Conference, Utah Valley State College, Salt Lake City, UT, October 2005 “Putting community under erasure / Opening up a space for the political” International Association for Philosophy and Literature Conference, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland, June 2005 “Our Postmodern Condition or What Happened to the Social Bond” International Association for Philosophy and Literature Conference, University of Syracuse, Syracuse, NY, May 2004 “Derrida’s Schibboleths: Writing / Reading Us to the Point of Bleeding” International Association for Philosophy and Literature Conference, University of Leeds, Leeds, England, May 2003 “Translating Community” International Association for Philosophy and Literature Conference, University of Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, June 2002
▪ Invited "Merleau-Ponty, Speculative Realism, and the 'Outside'” St Thomas More Guest Lecture, University of Saskatchewan, November 2016. “Conversations Between Jacques Derrida and Jean-Luc Nancy on the Animal” Derrida Today Conference, London UK, June 2016. “Human Exceptionalism and the Freedom of the World”, Invited Session: “Responsibility for the World: Jean-Luc Nancy, Freedom, and the Future” American Philosophy Association Pacific Division Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2016 “Can we live here? Dispersal, Intimacy and Action in Jean-Luc Nancy’s La ville au loin,” Conference being | intimate | political, Jean-Luc Nancy, Athens, Greece, March 4–5, 2015. “Le corps propre or Corpus corporum: Unity and Dislocation in Merleau-Ponty’s and Nancy’s Thinking of Embodiment,” Invited lecture at the Philosophy Colloquium of the Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt, May 14, 2014 “Taking Up the Speculative Realist Challenge: Maurice Merleau-Ponty and Jean-Luc Nancy,” Evening Seminar, Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK, March 19th, 2014 “Embodied Existence in Nancy and Merleau-Ponty,” Research Seminar, Manchester Metropolitan University, March 13, 2014 and Invited Lecture, Philosophy Department, DePaul University, February 17, 2014 “Corporal Thinking Against a Cartesian Backdrop: Merleau-Ponty and Jean-Luc Nancy,” Public Lecture, Faculty of Philosophy, Dominican University College, December 4, 2013 “Doing and Letting: Merleau-Ponty on Perception, Habit and Expression,” Invited Presentation at the Publication Support Group, Department of Philosophy, University of Alberta, November 1, 2013 “The Crisis of the Crisis: Toward a New Conception of Sense,” Panel “The Crises of Europe: On the Margins of Contemporaneity,” XXIII World Congress of Philosophy, August 2013, Athens, Greece “Being Social, Democratically,” Workshop “Being Social,” School of Law, Birkbeck College of the University of London, London, UK, June 2013 “Jean-Luc Nancy’s Thinking of the Body, A Phenomenology?” Western Phenomenology Group meeting at the American Philosophical Association Pacific Division Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 2012 “Jean-Luc Nancy et la phénoménologie” Cycle de Conférence de l’Université de Montréal, Montréal, QC, February 2012 “‘We must become what we are’: The normative force of Nancy’s ontology” Potentiality and Normativity Workshop, Goethe Universität, Frankfurt a.M., June 7-8, 2011 “The Time of the Im-possible in Derrida” Potentiality and Normativity Workshop, Université de Montréal, August 10-12, 2011 “Jean-Luc Nancys Denken des Singulär-Plurals oder das notwendige Zusammensein,” Workshop “Gemeinschaft–Vielleicht. Un/Mögliche Gemeinschaft–vorläufige Gemeinschaften,” Institut für Theorie, Zürcher Hochschule der Künste ZHdK, Zurich, March 12-14, 2010 “The Other and the Others: Derrida, Levinas, Nancy” Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey, June 2009
“Thinking Community beyond Sacrifice: Derrida and Nancy on the Plurality of Singularities” Engaging Communities – 5th Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference Department of Sociology, University of Alberta, May 2009 “Thinking ‘community’ with Jacques Derrida and Jean-Luc Nancy” Chalsty Aesthetics and Philosophy Forum, California College of the Arts San Francisco, March 2009 “Impossible Fences/Possible Defenses: Derrida on Community” Colloquium Series, University of Saskatchewan, February 2009 “There is no Cosmos: Latour’s Cosmopolitics and Kant’s Cosmopolitanism” Bruno Latour Lectures Series, University of Alberta, November 2008 “Communauté sous rature: la rencontre entre Jacques Derrida et Jean-Luc Nancy” Cycle de Conférence de l’Université de Montréal, Montréal, QC, February 2007 “La déconstruction de la fraternité ou l’interruption du mythe?” Journées d’étude sur la communauté, Parlement des philosophes, Université Mach Bloch, Strasbourg, France, May 2006 “Encountering the Other in Husserl, Blanchot and Derrida” Philosophy Colloquium Series, University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, MB, November 2005 “A mêlée without Sacrifice: Nancy’s Ontology of Offering against Derrida’s Politics of Sacrifice” IPS Seminar XIV: “Reading Jean-Luc Nancy’s Being Singular Plural”, South Tirol, Italy, June 2004 ▪ Commentaries Response to Sonia Sikka, “Liminal Beings: Revisiting Heidegger on Animality” Canadian Philosophical Association Annual Conference, Calgary, AB, April 2016. Response to Mick Smith, “Eco-political Animals” Workshop “Rethinking the NonHuman: Asian, Continental and Comparative Perspectives,” University of Alberta, Oct. 1-3, 2010 Response to Alia Al-Saji, “Life and the future of seeing differently: a feminist reading of matter in Bergson’s Creative Evolution” EPTC Conference, Concordia University, Montreal, QC, June 2010 Response to Gail Weiss, “Zones of Indeterminacy: Methodological Purism vs. Methodological Pluralism” Workshop “Philosophical Conceptions of Sexual Difference and of Embodiment,” University of Alberta, Oct. 11-12, 2007 Response to Jérôme Melançon “La phénoménologie de la politique de Merleau-Ponty” CPA Annual Meeting, University of Saskatoon, Saskatoon, SK, May 2007 Response to Kira Tomsons “Oppression and History” WCPA Annual Meeting, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, October 2005
▪ Editorship 2012-present 2007-2012
Editor, Symposium: Canadian Journal of Continental Philosophy Book Review Editor, Symposium: Canadian Journal of Continental Philosophy
▪ Teaching and Supervision ▪ Courses Taught at the University of Alberta Introduction to Philosophy: Values and Society (3 times) Introduction to Philosophy: Values and Society, Supersection: 200 students, 10 assistants (5 times) Existentialism (4 times) Topics in Recent Continental Philosophy: Husserl, Levinas, Derrida (3 times) Topics in Philosophy and Literature: Philosophy, Poetry, and Politics Topics in Philosophy and Literature: Structuralist and Poststructuralist Theories of the Text Topics in 20th-century Philosophy: Heidegger’s Being and Time (2 times) Topics in 20th-century Philosophy: Merleau-Ponty Topics in 20th-century Philosophy: Phenomenology (Husserl, Heidegger and Sartre) Topics in 20th-century Philosophy: Jean-Luc Nancy Topics in 20th-century Philosophy: Heidegger and Politics Topics in 20th-century Philosophy: Heidegger’s Basic Problems of Phenomenology Topics in 20th-century Philosophy: Husserl and Derrida (Origin of Geometry) ▪ Courses taught at the University of Winnipeg Introduction to Philosophy (6 credits) (2 times) Moral Philosophy (6 credits) (2 times) Values and the Human Condition (6 credits) History of Philosophy: Classical History of Philosophy: Recent Continental (19th century) History of Philosophy: Existentialism Topics in Contemporary European Philosophy: Husserl and Derrida (Speech and Phenomena) Special Topics Honours Seminar: Phenomenology (6 credits) (Brentano, Husserl, Heidegger, Sartre) ▪ Courses taught at Suffolk County Community College Philosophy of Religion (2 times) Ethics (2 times) Issues in Philosophy ▪ Undergraduate Supervisions at the University of Alberta Honours Thesis completed 2011-2012 Nikhil Jayadevan, The Fate of Inexhaustible Laughter: What Exhausts Our Supply of Mirth; Or, When Are We Finally Over-men, Under-, Or Behind-them? 2010-2011 Michael Peterson, Sartre, Others, and Trust Connor Morris, Heidegger on Overcoming Metaphysics (co-supervision) 2009-2010 Allison Boutillier, Thinking the 1930s: A Comparison of the Analyses of Alain Badiou and Philippe Lacoue-Labarthe 2008-2009 Steven Sych, Heidegger, Authenticy and the Possibility of Philosophy Natalie Heldberg, Foucault, Power and the Prozac Body (co-supervision) Mary Hildebrandt, Mass Society in 19th- and 20th-century Philosophy ▪ Graduate Supervisions M.A. Thesis Supervision completed 2015-2016 Donald Ude, Ressentiment in Nietzsche's Critique of Christianity 2011-2012 Evan Stait, Escaping “Oblivion”: Rethinking Heidegger’s Challenge through the Metaphysics of St. Thomas Aquinas (co-supervision)
Jordan Glass, The Hither Side of Good and Evil: Desire and the Will to Power: A Study of Nietzsche and Levinas on Value (co-supervision) Brent Vizeau, Badiou, Political Nihilism, and a Small-Scale Solution Sean Hartford, Heidegger’s Critique of the Cartesian Problem of Scepticism
M.A. Thesis Committee completed 2014-2015 Vladimir Dukić, Heidegger on Wonder, Restraint, and the Beginnings of Philosophy 2013-2014 Connor Morris, The Possibility of Social Criticism in Heidegger 2012-2013 Joshua St. Pierre, Performing the (Dis)abled Speaker Justin Ogilvie, Before and Again (External, MFA in painting) 2011-2012 Ben McMahen, Saving Face: Shame and Bodily Abnormality Daniel Erin, The Historian’s Magic: The Performance of a "Primitive" Epistemology (History) 2010-2011 Alex Buchinski, Bernard Stiegler’s Critique of and Supplement to Martin Heidegger’s Account of the Independence of Entities 2008-2009 Jaclyn Rohel, Food and Philosophy: Eating as a Way of Life Allan Curtis, The Crisis of Nihilism and the Question of Technology: A Heideggerian Perspective 2007-2008 David McPike, Historicity, Truth, and the Possibility of Philosophy: A Heideggerian Essay Patrick Gamez, The Ends of Law: Walter Benjamin’s Conception of History Ph.D. Thesis Supervision completed 2015 Yasemin Sari, Revolutionary Spacing: An Arendtian Recognitive Politics Ph.D. Thesis Supervision (ongoing) Jay Worthy, On the Problem of Public Space: Towards a Nondialectical Politics Ph.D. Supervisory Committee completed 2014 Charles Rodger, Hegel’s System and the Ontological Proof of the Existence of God Kristin Rodier, Habits of Gender: Phenomenological Resistance and the Temporal Meaning of Habits. Alexander Karolis, On the Deconstruction of Christianity: Technē and Touching Abandoned Bodies in the Philosophy of Jean-Luc Nancy, Australian National University (External Reader) Terrilyn Sweep, Accommodating thrown being-in-the-world, University of Queensland (External Reader) Jacob Potempski, “The abyss of the image: A study of the Kantian/Heideggerian imagination” (project #2), Cultural Studies, Trent University (External Reader) Sean O’Brien, Candidacy Exam in English David Janzen, Candidacy Exam in Cultural Studies 2010 Daniel Webb, From Constellations to Autoprohibition: Everything You Wanted to Know about Adorno’s Ethics (but Were Afraid to Ask Žižek) (Political Science) 2009-2010 Patrick McLane, Specialization Exam in Sociology Poal Hadden, Candidacy Exam in Sociology Ph.D. Supervisory Committee (ongoing) Shanna Mumm, Bergson, Senghor and literature-monde (MLCS) Iris Yin, The Lived Pedagogical Relation: A Phenomenology of Teacher-Student Eye Contact (Secondary Eduction)
▪ Graduate and Undergraduate Reading Groups Fall 2015: Merleau-Ponty and Bergson Winter 2015: Phenomenology (Husserl, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, Levinas, Marion) Summer 2013: Derrida’s Of Grammatology Fall 2011: Deleuze’s Difference and Repetition Winter 2009: Alain Badiou and Jacques Rancière ▪ Other Graduate Mentoring July 2013, Text Seminar Leader, Collegium Phaenomenologicum, Plato’s Statesman July 2015, Text Seminar Leader, Collegium Phaenomenologicum, Derrida’s Death Penalty Seminar ▪ Outreach Presentation at the 2015 University of Alberta Open House on the value of a philosophy education Presentations to Grade-8 students at the 2014 Liberal Arts Day on Plato’s Forms
▪ Grants and Distinctions 2016
Faculty of Arts Undergraduate Teaching Award
SSHRC Insight Grant (99,177$) “Turning Back the Speculative Turn: Maurice Merleau-Ponty and Jean-Luc Nancy at the Limits of Phenomenology”
Kathleen W. Klawe Prize for Excellence in Teaching Large Classes (1000$)
Killam Research Fund (2800$) for travel to the SEP-FEP Joint Conference at York St John University, York, UK Support for the Advancement of Scholarship Research Fund (1250$) for the project “Introducing Jean-Luc Nancy as a Key Contemporary Thinker”
Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund (834$) for attending the Deleuze Kafka Summer School at Charles University, Prague.
Support for the advancement of Scholarship Research Fund (1800$) for travel to the 2009 IAPL conference at Brunel University, UK
Killam Research Fund (3800$) for travel to the XXIInd World Congress of Philosophy, in Seoul, Korea
Travel Grant from the University of Winnipeg (1000$) for travel to the 2005 APA Eastern Division Annual Meeting Discretionary Research Grant from the University of Winnipeg (750$) for the proofreading and preparation of the manuscript of Jenseits der brüderlichen Gemeinschaft.
Fonds pour la Formation de Chercheurs et l’Aide à la Recherche (20,000$) 2-year grant for graduate studies
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschsdienst Research Grant (12,000 DM) 1-year research grant to be used at the University of Freiburg, Germany
▪ Organizing and Service ▪ university service 20142015-2016 2012-2013 2011-2013 2010-2013 2007-2010
Undergraduate Associate Chair and Chair of the Undergraduate Studies and Teaching Committee Placement and Awards Committee Undergraduate Studies and Teaching Committee Equity Committee Graduate Studies Committee Visiting Speaker Officer
▪ public and professional service 20162015201220102011-2013 2010-2012 2010 2009-2010 2008-2010 2008 2007-2013
Member of the APA Committee on International Cooperation International Advisory Board Member, Book Series “New Perspectives in Ontology” (Edinburgh University Press) International Advisory Board Member, Book Series “New Perspectives on Theory/Culture/Politics” (Rowman & Littlefield) Ex officio Member, Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Editorial Board Member, Environment and Planning D: Society and Space Treasurer, Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Local Coordinator, CSCP Annual Congress Member-at-Large, Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Associate Editor, Radical Philosophy Review Local co-organizer, WCPA Annual Meeting Member of the CPA Equity Committee
▪ refereeing refereeing for Religiologiques, Society and Space, Symposium, Revue canadienne de science politique, Distinktion, Dialogue, Phaenex, Geopolitics, Fordham University Press, Polity Press, Presses de l’Université Laval, Canadian Philosophy Association, Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy, Canadian Society for Women in Philosophy, Society for Existential and Phenomenological Theory and Culture.
▪ Languages French (mother tongue), English (advanced), German (advanced), Ancient Greek (basic reading knowledge)
▪ Professional Memberships American Philosophy Association Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy Atelier de philosophie continentale